Jonny Fritz is back with a new album of dad country called 'Sweet Creep.' Will it creep its way into your playlist? Watch our review to find out.
New album reviews every Tuesday!
• Your grandpa’s record collection of Roger Miller, Tom T. Hall, and Marty Robbins
• The New Basement Tapes minus Mumford, minus Bob Dylan lyrics, plus George Carlin lyrics
• Minimal, but powerful, instrumentation - acoustic, electric and bass guitars, appropriate percussion, fiddle
• Takes classic, vintage country sounds and gently warps them into something all his own
• Strong lyrics -- often humorous, but also poignant and emotive; they’re relatable and self-deprecating and occasionally weird
• He doesn’t take himself too seriously, and that’s a big part of his charm
• It takes a few songs to get going – 'Are You Thirsty?' and 'Cries After Making Love' started to bring it down early, but it recovers
• Minimal instrumentation starts to wear a little thin toward the end of the album
Jonny Fritz -- 'Sweet Creep' -- Album Review
Episode #265 -- Published 10/17/16
Last Week's Album